How to clean a microfiber sofa.
December 21, 2011 § Leave a comment
One of the easiest fabrics to clean when it comes to your sofa is definitely microfiber. We love recommending it to our customers because it is durable & repels water, however there are some tips & tricks to cleaning it.
Microfiber furniture will commonly come with a tag that has one of the special microfiber codes that tell you how to clean it. The tags will say, W, S, S-W, or X.
- W means you must use water based cleaning solution.
- S means you must use a “solvent” based cleaner
- S-W means you can use S or W type cleaners
- X means you can vacuum only (so, no water or solvent based cleaning solutions).
If you get a stain on your microfiber sofa here’s our method to cleaning.
- Move the microfiber sofa out from the wall if necessary. Remove any pillows.
- Vacuum the sofa with a soft-bristled brush attachment. Work from the top to the bottom. Take off removable cushions, and vacuum underneath them to remove crumbs and debris.
- Fill a bucket with warm water and 2 teaspoons mild detergent.
- Dip a soft cloth into the bucket, and wring it out. Gently wipe the sofa to remove any spills, stains and residue. If you catch a spill immediately after it happens generally patting the spill will lift it from the fabric as microfiber repels water. Allow the microfiber sofa to air-dry completely.
- Brush the sofa with a fine-toothed comb to restore the nap. Combing softens the texture and untangles the fibers.
Here are some of our favorite microfiber sofas.